Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

[ODBC Driver 18 for SQL Server]SSL Provider: The target principal name is incorrect

Number4
8 - Asteroid

I got a new laptop at work and am having an issue getting the regular Input and Dynamic Input tool to connect to MS SQL Server.
What's funny, is that the IDB Connect In-DB tool connects just fine.  

Why would it connect fine with IDB tools and not Input or Dynamic Input?

This is the message I'm getting: 

Get Table List Error: Error SQLDriverConnect: [Microsoft][ODBC Driver 18 for SQL Server]SSL Provider: The target principal name is incorrect.
[Microsoft][ODBC Driver 18 for SQL Server]Client unable to establish connection

I have the ODBC Driver 18 installed and named the same.

ODBC.jpg

Input Tool Error.JPG

IDB Connection.JPG

  

6 REPLIES 6
BrandonB
Alteryx
Alteryx

Can you try clicking the "Quick Connect" button next to Microsoft SQL Server? I am curious if it prompts you for another driver install or if it continues as expected with what you have. 

Number4
8 - Asteroid

Doesn't prompt for another driver, just opens with the same driver message.

Number4
8 - Asteroid

So, interesting enough, if I click on ODBC instead, it sees the server and I can pull back data from the tables.

ODBC ALT.JPG

BrandonB
Alteryx
Alteryx

I was looking at a couple of other threads including this one for PowerBI: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Power-Query/Microsoft-SQL-The-target-principal-name-is-incorrect-Ca... 

Can you try  configuring using the IP address of the server to see if the same behavior exists? 

Here is some more information from Microsoft on the topic: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/troubleshoot/sql/connect/cannot-generate-sspi-context-error 

Number4
8 - Asteroid

"Can you try  configuring using the IP address of the server to see if the same behavior exists?"

Using the IP Address in the Alteryx configuration window produces the same result.

Or are you saying to use the IP in the ODBC Configuration setup?

BrandonB
Alteryx
Alteryx

Yes, want you to try in the ODBC config to see if that makes a difference. Very odd that it works in the In-DB tools though. I wonder if a different driver might also produce better results. 

Labels