Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

New output file for every run

aparna0208
8 - Asteroid

Hi,

I run a workflow which outputs data into two tabs in excel(Inspection and Fail). Is there a way in Alteryx to create new output file with those two tabs for every run? Thank you in advance

5 REPLIES 5
jrgo
14 - Magnetar

Hi @aparna0208 

Yes, but will require that you create a field that includes the complete output file path and sheet name. You would then enable the option in the output tool to "Take File/Table Name From Field" option at the bottom of the tools config.

In the attached example, I'm creating an output file path with the file name including a date/time stamp. Reason why you have to use the "Change Entire File Path" option is because you're needing to change the file name. The other options available would only impact the table (or sheet name for Excel) which wouldn't do you any good.

Hope this helps!

Jimmy

aparna0208
8 - Asteroid

@jrgo Thanks for the inputs. I'm getting an error as "Error opening file". Not sure if the error is because of the path mismatch. I'm not sure if I'm missing anything here

aparna0208_0-1628805573244.png

aparna0208_1-1628805611136.png

jrgo
14 - Magnetar

I'm guessing that you ran this on a new workflow (never saved). The way the Formula tool was set up is that the file path is relative to where the workflow is saved in, but if the if working on a never saved workflow, it defaults to the bin directory which is usually protected.

Either save the workflow first then run or update that formula tool adding in a directory path (illustrated below)

jrgo_0-1628805988539.png

Remember that the option selected in the output tool is COMPLETELY replacing whatever File Path the output tool is configured with.

aparna0208
8 - Asteroid

Awesome, it worked:) I saved the workflow and then ran it and no issues. Thank you so much for your help on this @jrgo 

sfyodor
7 - Meteor

Thanks @jrgo .Just to add a note for everyone else to use DATETIMESTART() like you have in your screen shot. I was using DATETIMENOW() initially and would have tabs broken out into different output files because they ran couple of seconds apart due to block until done tool.

Labels