Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Name columns based on range of list and insert data with delimiters

Lauritsjust
7 - Meteor

Hi Community

I am trying to structure some data, which is easily done in Excel, but difficult for me to do in Alteryx. I would like the steps done in Alteryx, as another part of the flow is generated in Alteryx, so a simple "Run" would be easier than navigating multiple programs. 

I have an input file, where both the desired headers and the data are in the same list. Furthermore i would like to add some special headers, which is not in the list. 

In excel i can simply transpose the list of headers (data between "Start-of-fields" and "End-of-fields") and add the headers that i know is missing as the first 4 (ISIN, TBD, TBD, Country).
Furthermore i can use the "text-to-columns" on the data fields (data between "Start-of-data" and "End-of-data") to split it into multiple columns. 

However, the solution in excel is very manual and the solution that I can create in excel does not incorporate if the amount of headers and data fields varies.

Thank you very much.

7 REPLIES 7
Sebastiaandb
12 - Quasar

Hi @Lauritsjust ,

Hopefully this comes close enough to what you want to achieve :-) (see the attached workflow)!

Sebastiaandb_0-1666957676254.png

In case you always have the same set of fields (in the same order) you can just replace the upper stream and connect a text input tool with all fields to the union tool and set the order by on the stream with the text input tool :-). In that way it forces the data fields to fit to the order of the fieldnames stream. 

Greetings,

Seb

Felipe_Ribeir0
16 - Nebula

Hi @Lauritsjust 

One way of doing this:

Felipe_Ribeir0_0-1666958663059.png

Lauritsjust
7 - Meteor

Yes, I believe this is exactly what I needed for looking at the picture. 

However, as I am using Alteryx 2020.4 and not the newest version (School restrictions) I am not able to open the .yxzp file. 

Is it possible for you to save it as a .yxmd file? Or is any of the functions used for a newer version of Alteryx? 

Sebastiaandb
12 - Quasar

Hi @Lauritsjust ,

See attached, saved it as a 2020.4 workflow :-).

Greetings,

Seb

Lauritsjust
7 - Meteor

This works aswell! 
Thank you very much. Just saved me days of figuring out how to do this.. 

Lauritsjust
7 - Meteor

Perfect, thank you very much!
It works exactly like i wished it to.

Sebastiaandb
12 - Quasar

@Lauritsjust ,

No problem, glad to help! We've all been there ;-).

Labels