Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Multiple Filter Input Through Text box

hemant86
11 - Bolide

Hi Team,

Can someone help me with this workflow. I am getting a "Filter (2): Parse Error at char(14): Unknown variable "Kathuri"". What am I missing. Attaching the workflow.

Thanks In advance

6 REPLIES 6
IraWatt
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hey @hemant86,

Your action tool was breaking the IN statement this way works:

IraWatt_0-1656606720081.png

Any questions or issues please ask :)
HTH!
Ira

hemant86
11 - Bolide

Thanks @IraWatt But I want input multiple Values through textbox separated by comma (,). Hence I was using "[EMPNAME] IN ("abc","abcd")" . The same logic is working for me when I'm trying with numbers. I want to enter values as shown in screenshot.

hemant86_0-1656608161185.png

IraWatt
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hey @hemant86,

I updated it so that works:

IraWatt_0-1656609546692.png

I had to add a formula to add in "" around each element eg. Chandru Shanmugam,Adam Mohammed becomes "Chandru Shanmugam","Adam Mohammed" that way the formula still works.

DataNath
17 - Castor

To save you or your end user having to type out names every time, especially if there are a lot, you can use a list box for this. This will populate a list of names from the field in question and you can simply tick them, and those will be added to the filter condition, leaving only those in your output. Great interactive lesson on how to set that up here: https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Interactive-Lessons/Using-List-Boxes/ta-p/243116#done

hemant86
11 - Bolide

Thanks @IraWatt This solution works for me. But I'm still wondering if my solution works with numbers then why not with strings?

IraWatt
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@hemant86 no worries. The syntax for IN with number is different eg for numbers its [Field 1] IN (12345) where as for string its [Field 1] IN ("12345"). For numbers to work with this you can convert them to a string before the filter then convert them back to a number after. This will work the same. 

Labels