Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Multi-row formula tool example

meghussong
5 - Atom

I am currently in a college course that uses Alteryx. We are learning how to use the Multi-row formula. I was having some difficulty understanding the concepts on how to use the expressions ,so I went to the examples by Alteryx. In the example on how to "Access Additional Rows and Change Values for Rows that don't Exist" which calculates a 3-month rolling average, I don't understand how they came up with the value for column 3 Month Average, record 2. The value is 326.00 ,but this is not the average of the row 1 and 2 sales.

Screen Shot 2024-02-27 at 3.07.35 PM.png

Screen Shot 2024-02-27 at 3.08.11 PM.png

  

3 REPLIES 3
DavidSkaife
13 - Pulsar

Hi @meghussong 

The formula references the current, and previous two rows. As you set for values where rows doesn't exist to the closest valid row, it takes the average from record 1 twice and record 2

Raj
14 - Magnetar

@meghussong 
se what actually happened here is when it was unable to find the previous rows it was taking values from first row
for first row -290+290+290/3 = 290
for second row - 398+290+290 /3 = 326

rest youl know how values are achieved.

Raj
14 - Magnetar

@meghussong you can explore more under the dropdown values for rows that don't exist

hope you have understood the Concept and the reason it is taking closest value.

Happy Learning!!

Labels