Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Multi Row Question

TheBIguy
7 - Meteor

Hello All,

I am confused in setting up a logic.

I have two rows and I need to take only one of them and if that one is not available then the second.

So if it contains "Correction Needed" in comment column then this row else the "No Correction Needed" row

F1FileNameValueComment
Namex No Correction Needed
Namey09/31/2020Correction Needed

Thanks in advance!

8 REPLIES 8
TheBIguy
7 - Meteor

@atcodedog05 and @Sebastiaandb 

Any help on this?

JoeHerbert
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi @TheBIguy I added a sample row to your table above: xyz, x,' ', 'No Correction Needed' 

And created a flow using a mixture of Multi Row Formula, Summarize and Join to bring back what you are after: 

JoeHerbert_0-1635430964863.png becomes: 

JoeHerbert_1-1635431029015.png

Maskell_Rascal
13 - Pulsar

Hi @TheBIguy 

If field "F1" can be used as a unique identifier, then you can do this without a Multi-Row formula. 

Filter on comment where value does not contain the word "No", Join the T/F results to find duplicate entries, and then Union the right output of the Join to the true output of the Filter tool. 

Maskell_Rascal_0-1635431307876.png

Maskell_Rascal_1-1635431317802.png

Let me know if this works for you. 

Cheers!

Phil

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @TheBIguy 

My take on this. Sort comment by ascending so that "Correction needed" comes first then "No Correction needed" then sample out first row. This way if "Correction needed" exists then its selected if not "No Correction needed" is selected.

Workflow:

atcodedog05_0-1635487155121.png

Hope this helps : )

TheBIguy
7 - Meteor

@atcodedog05 

and if the correction needed cell wont generate then it would delete the one single row too that is No correction needed, But I need that row too.

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @TheBIguy 

Can you provide the expected output I can design accordingly.

TheBIguy
7 - Meteor

@atcodedog05 

Ok, Lets make it easy to understand.

I have a file to check where if there is any blank dates it should say No Correction needed but if it has then it should say Correction needed after filtering the this all data. I have this remaining now if file needs correction then only "Correction Needed" row should pickup as the value column has to be checked in that particular FileName. But if it's good then it wont generate any row so I added this new row sayin "No correction Needed" Now if there is any correction we have two rows and if we are getting "Correction Needed" then we don't need "No Correction Needed"

F1FileNameValueComment
Namex No Correction Needed
Namex09/31/2020Correction Needed
atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @TheBIguy 

Lets say your input is like below

F1 FileName Value Comment
Jim z   No Correction Needed
Jim y 09/31/2020 Correction Needed
John x   No Correction Needed