Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
RESUELTAS

Month name based on number

JustynaMZ
Meteoro

What is incorrect with my formula?

if [Report month]=1 then 'January' elseif [Report month]=2 then 'February' elseif [Report month]=3 then 'March' elseif [Report month]=4 then 'April' elseif [Report month]=5 then 'May' elseif [Report month]=6 then 'June' elseif [Report month]=7 then 'July' elseif [Report month]=8 then 'August' elseif [Report month]=9 then 'September' elseif [Report month]=10 then 'October' elseif [Report month]=11 then 'November' elseif [Report month]=12 then 'December' else [Report month] endif

6 RESPUESTAS 6
phottovy
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

Hi @JustynaMZ ,

You can use the following formula to extract the full month name from a date column which could save you the trouble of writing a long if statement: 

DateTimeFormat([date_field], '%B')

I find the link below very useful when using the different date functions.

DateTime Functions | Alteryx Help

cjaneczko
Púlsar

Think you are overcomplicating this. A formula tool with the below will do what you are looking once the column is formated to the correct DateTime.

DateTimeFormat([Report month],'%B')
cjaneczko
Púlsar

If the column you are using isnt in a Date/Time format and just a string number of 1-12 you can also use the following.

DateTimeFormat(DateTimeParse(ToString([Report month]),"%m"),"%B")
JustynaMZ
Meteoro

Thanks, and if I want to receive previous month (i.e. if I have 4 as April and for 4 I want to receive 'March'?

RobertOdera
Púlsar

Hi, @JustynaMZ 

If I understand your question correctly:

1. If you have a field, [Report month], that is Type = Text or String, with values ranging from 1-12, then do the below

If [Report month]='1' then 'January'

elseif [Report month]='2' then 'February'

elseif [Report month]='3' then 'March'

elseif [Report month]='4' then 'April'

elseif [Report month]='5' then 'May'

elseif [Report month]='6' then 'June'

elseif [Report month]='7' then 'July'

elseif [Report month]='8' then 'August'

elseif [Report month]='9' then 'September'

elseif [Report month]='10' then 'October'

elseif [Report month]='11' then 'November'

elseif [Report month]='12' then 'December'

else 'Fix Me'

endif

2. If your [Report month] field is an integer or double or number, you can use ToString([Report month]) to make it a string or text  AND then use the formula in 1 above. OR, you can keep the number format and alter the formula in 1 above by changing '1' to 1, i.e., do not represent the month as text.

-If you have a Date field in your data, you may use the Date Parse Tool or the date format formulas in a Formula Tool.

- I hope you find this helpful. Cheers!

RobertOdera
Púlsar

Hi, @JustynaMZ 

If you have a date field, use DateTimeAdd([Date field], -1, "month") to get the month before the current month

It might be more helpful if you could share a sample and your desired result - and the community will help you😎

Etiquetas