Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Modify an Alteryx Workflow to make sure that the Input Tools are running independently

Altryx_Noob
6 - Meteoroid

Hi All,

I have an Alteryx workflow which has 3 input tools (Queries which run by connecting to 3 different tables in a SQL database). The first two input tools create excel files. An email is then sent out to the broader teams when the workflow has finished running (after the excel files have been generated). Sometimes the 3rd input tool takes a long time to run (because how the table was created initially). Because of this, the workflow takes forever to run and the excel files are not being generated on time and I have to disable the container for the 3rd input tool and run the process manually to generate the excel files. The 3rd input tool doesn't generate any output file (it is just a check to see if the data exists for the previous date in the table). Can the workflow be modified in such a way that the excel files are generated by the first two input tools irrespective of whether the 3rd input tool has finished running or not ?

Below is the screenshot of the existing workflow

Altryx_Noob_0-1635362901554.png

The 3rd tool is the one that is enclosed in a container

4 REPLIES 4
AlexEntz
8 - Asteroid

Hello,

you should set running priorities in your workflow using the "blocked until done" feature:

AlexEntz_0-1635403419926.png

This will prevent your last output from loading until the rest is finished. You will have to modify your workflow slightly.

Greetings Alex

AZuc
Alteryx
Alteryx

@Altryx_Noob ,

In fact, Alteryx was made to run things in parallel. But there are some hints we can use to try to serialize the execution.

"Block until done" tool is the first. Its behavior is to send all the data to output 1, when it finishes, then start sending to output 2 and then to 3.

Sometimes it's not sufficient, then I use other trick that is to "wait" for a result of a second branch of the workflow. 

AZuc_0-1635425632697.png

Then I deselect all columns from source input in Append Fields.

But, regarding a way to sync Input data, I believe you`ll need to use a batch macro, besides the techniques above. You could encapsulate the input tool into the macro, and create a dummy control parameter getting the last 1 row from the previous data stream.

See if this ideas help you

André Zuccatti

Sales Engineer - LATAM -
Alteryx, Inc.

Altryx_Noob
6 - Meteoroid

@AlexEntz @AZuc 

Thanks for the Block Until Done feature suggestion. I was able to implement it for inputs 1 & 2 because they use same query (database and table) in the input tool. But I am not able to do the same for input 3 because it uses a different query (database and table). Can you please help with this? Please see image below,

Altryx_Noob_0-1635458184117.png

I am not able to connect the output 3 of the Block Until Done tool to the Input tool 2 (DDS check) which has to run after the excel outputs are generated by input tool 1

AlexEntz
8 - Asteroid

Hello @Altryx_Noob,

I would remove your third line from the "block until done" feature and restore the original "DOS check" part of the workflow. After that use the "Block until done" feature in this (framed in red) part of the workflow:

AlexEntz_0-1635487212297.png

I hope this helps. 

Greetings Alex

Labels