Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Matching cell data across columns and replace

mjflynn03
5 - Atom

Hi, I'm very new to Alteryx and trying to write a workflow that will match test data across two table columns, and if they match, replace the data in one column with data from a third column. Is this even possible?

I essentially have an index of data that I've sorted and categorized, and I want to replace the old data with the new by matching old to old and replacing with corresponding new. Does this make sense? Would appreciate any help.

3 REPLIES 3
binuacs
20 - Arcturus

@mjflynn03 Use the join tool - Join the matching columns, select the column you want in your output

mjflynn03
5 - Atom

That doesn't work. The index is a unique list of the data in the original column which has repetitions. There's a new value for each unique value, so the matching columns are different lengths. Is there a workflow I can use that goes cell by cell and matches the data to test if it should be replaced?

lbardoe
8 - Asteroid

is the data set very large. Could you use a transpose columns to rows, then use a Find and Replace tool on the single column and then use a transpose rows to columns to put the data back into order. You will need to add a Record ID field so that the records dont get concatenated.

Labels