Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Massive Blob Conversion

logzhang
6 - Meteoroid

Hi,

Is there any dynamic way that I can convert all the string fields to blob? The Blob Convert tool only allows one field at each time. I am thinking of using iterative macro maybe? Any help is appreciated!

5 REPLIES 5
BrandonB
Alteryx
Alteryx

You could use a batch macro where you pass in all of the field names via control parameter so that you could mass convert all columns to blobs. 

blob macro.png

logzhang
6 - Meteoroid

@BrandonB could you share your sample workflow? Thanks!

BrandonB
Alteryx
Alteryx

I actually took a slightly different approach. What do you think about this? I used a transpose tool on the data to get all columns into a name and value column, then used the convert to blob tool, and then cross tabbed back. 

blob transpose.png

logzhang
6 - Meteoroid

@BrandonB This workflow is perfect!

I am also curious how to configure the batch macro to make this task work? Could you also provide an example workflow?

Thank you!

BrandonB
Alteryx
Alteryx

To be honest I started taking the batch macro approach and stopped because it was getting overly complex and I realized that there was a more straightforward way with the transpose and crosstab. I was going to pass each field name through as a control parameter, convert the field to a blob, and then bring them all back through with a common record ID. 

Labels