Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Make a batch macro input optional

AndrewW
11 - Bolide

Is it possible to have a field driven input to a batch macro optional? i.e. if no field is mapped to the input a null (or other default) value is passed through the tool?

To give some context I'm using a macro to add data to a database, creating an event log as my workflows run, logging events that are worth capturing. My table has the following fields:

Workflow Name

Event Type

Event date time

File Name

For events such as 'workflow start' the file name would be NULL. For events such as 'file written' I would want to capture the file name.

Ideally the File Name macro input would only be populated for file specific events and could be left blank for non-file events - in other words populating the input would be optional.

3 REPLIES 3
NeilR
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

I'm not entirely following, but with Alteryx 10.5 macro inputs are now optional:

Capture.PNG

AndrewW
11 - Bolide

That's interesting. Does it also apply to batch macro inputs? I've attached doc containing a screen shot of my batch macro inputs (I can't upload images directly due to IT policy here and inability to copy/paste in). I'm still using 10.1 but if it's possible to make all macro inputs optional in 10.5 that's a big win.

NeilR
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

The link you sent doesn't seem to be working for me. If you're referring to Control Parameter input of a batch macro, no, that is still mandatory (as the number of records you feed into the control parameter represents the number of times the macro will run, so if 0 then it won't run).

Labels