Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Macro or Solution for Dynamic Filtering and Formatting

rgalik
7 - Meteor

Hi All, 

I have data that looks like table1 below. The request numbers increase monthly, and the questions more or less repeat themselves, but may change depending on what the end user selects. There are roughly 35 questions per request number. I need to reformat the data to resemble table2 below, and then append each request number to it's mate from a different sheet. All the questions must stack.

I have already solved the other details portion with a formula and then removed the column using the select tool. I am having trouble automating this without manually adding a new 'stack' (See photo below) every time a new request number set is added.

Any ideas on how to accomplish this?

Request NumberQuestionResponseOther Details
1234-56789What is your favorite Color?Blue 
1234-56789What is the airspeed velocity of a swallow?European or African? 
1234-56789What is your quest?To get the grail. 
1235-67890What is your favorite Color?Green 
1235-67890What is the airspeed velocity of a swallow?N/ALaden or Unladen?
1235-67890What is your quest?To get the grail.N/A

I need the data to look like this:

Request NumberWhat is your favorite Color?What is the airspeed velocity of a swallow?What is your quest?
1234-56789BlueEuropean or African?To get the grail.
1235-67890GreenLaden or Unladed?To get the grail.

rgalik_0-1659373340120.png

4 REPLIES 4
FreeRangeDingo
11 - Bolide
11 - Bolide

If Other Details were populated for request number 1234-56789, what would you expect to get?  Would those other details be concatenated? And do you expect N/A to be filtered out?  Are there Other Details that should be filtered out?  Is N/A an acceptable response for a question but not Other Details?

rgalik
7 - Meteor

Hi There, 

I already solved the other details portion using a formula and select tool. I have edited the output above to reflect more accurately what I am receiving. 

Thanks!

FreeRangeDingo
11 - Bolide
11 - Bolide

Can you upload the workflow?

rgalik
7 - Meteor

Hi, 

Yes, I have attached the workflow here. I created dummy data, as I cannot share the real data with you. There are 35+ actual columns on the 'Additional Information' tab and ultimately there will be 60+ clients who will be on the 'Additional Information' Tab. I would like to be able to run this and have it format the data properly without amending the filter or stacks each time I run it. 

Labels