Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Listbox App -- Rebuilding an Example File Did not work

TomBock
8 - Asteroid

I found a listbox example at https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Desktop-Discussions/How-to-filter-the-data-based-o...

- The provided example by @binuacs works great!
- FYI... the example file uses "text input" for the 2 dates sources.

//

- As part of my learning more about app development, I mimicked/rebuild @binuacs' working solution.
- Instead of using two text inputs though, I have copied the data into 2 XLSX and would like to use "input" tools instead.
- My attempt "RebuildingApp" *appears* to have the same configuration; however, I cannot replicate the same output on my mimicked solution.

Specifically, when using:
a. @binuacs' solution and selecting, e.g., "HK" and "UK" from the listbox, the app then returns 6 records. See "Example.jpg".
b. Alternatively, in my solution (with input files), message indicates "There Were No Output Files". See "Rebuilding.jpg".

I've have reviewed the tools' configuration and do not see what I'm missing... obviously though, my rebuild solution must some something missing/different.

Any thoughts as to what I may have forgotten in non-working "RebuildingApp.yxwz" (when compared to working "Example.yxwz"). I really doubt that the change of "text input" to "input files" is the result of the failure to output files.

What am I missing/overlooking in the setup/config?

Thank you,
Tom

4 REPLIES 4
acarter881
12 - Quasar

Hello, @TomBock.

In the Interface Designer (CTRL + ALT + D), you need to select the Browse tool to display the results.

acarter881_0-1686770384800.png

TomBock
8 - Asteroid

Allow me to clarify... 

The two values (HK and UK) are just place holder value.   These will be overwritten once the user selects a different value select (from the listbox).

Process:

1. Open the working version (Example).

2. Instead on clicking 'Run", click on the "Magic Wand" icon (left to 'Run').

3. Doing so will bring up the listbox.

4. Choose any combination of values (up to 4 check boxes OR all check boxes in the listbox).

5. Then click 'Finish'.

Based on the values selected/checked, the working version "Example" will display the associated records in the "App Results".

Now, following the same five steps in my mimicked solution, however, does NOT give me any results.

So, I'm trying to figure out what I might be missing in the setup of, e.g., listbox, action item, or any of the other tools.    The Browse will only display the current default values.

Thank you,

Tom

binuacs
20 - Arcturus

@TomBock as @acarter881 mentioned you need to make a change in the interface designer window (you can either click the View- menu then go to the interface designer or press CLT+ALT+D )

you will get a popup window like below

binuacs_0-1686779840203.png

select the setting options (last one) then check the browser tool

binuacs_1-1686779880443.png

then you will see the results in the browser tool

I also updated your workflow and attached

TomBock
8 - Asteroid

@acarter881 -- my apologies... you were right.   I simply misunderstood your solution.   Thank you for the assistance.

@binuacs -- I appreciate you jumping in (as the original author).   Your detailed screenshot helped me figure it out.   Once I selected the Browse (as you nicely illustrated), the solution worked just fine.

In fact, for double-checking testing (i.e., learning this method), I created yet another solution for US States and associated US Cities.   I followed the sample workflow logic and this new test problem worked great as well.

Again, thank you for this nice (original) sample file and providing assistance how to ensure the app outputs the desired results.

Cheers,

Tom

Labels