Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Last field in output file has quotes and shouldn't.

ppatane
8 - Asteroid

The last field in each row of my workflow has the following formula:

if [RowCount] = 1 then '101'
else
'103'
endif

In the output I am getting "101" or "103" but I do not want quotes.

I am exporting as a .csv with a pipe delimiter | to a file with .txt extension and the code page is the default, ISO 8859-1 Latin-1.

Because I have the pipe delimiter, I cannot choose to Never Quote Output Fields.  It only quotes this field; the other 46 fields are fine.  I have read through all the other posts with similar problems, but the solutions do not work for me.  I am wondering if it is because there is something in my IF formula here that is causing the issue.  I have also tried the StripQuotes function to no avail. Hoping to learn something new here.  Thanks!

6 REPLIES 6
crofootc
5 - Atom

Have you tried removing the quotes from your formula? I would also check the data type you are creating with that column

if [RowCount] = 1 then 101
else
endif

ppatane
8 - Asteroid

I need to update this; I found the reason for the quotes.  I actually had a | in my IF statement:
if [RowCount] = 1 then 'ABC101|'
else
'ABC103||'
endif

Removing the pipe got rid of the quotes, but I still need to end each row with a pipe.  Do I just need to add a null field to the end so that I get the pipe after the field with the IF function?

crofootc
5 - Atom

What is the purpose of the pipe you are feeding in? If you are trying to specify the delimiter you can define that in the output tool.

crofootc_0-1684867657240.png

I would guess that adding the null field at the end in conjunction with this should achieve that end.

ppatane
8 - Asteroid

I was putting the pipe as the delimiter in the Output Tool, but I needed a pipe at the end of each row as the system we are uploading these to demands it.

I came up with a solution. First, I added a field and left all the rows empty.  But I could not have the field name in the header row, so I tried to leave it blank, but Alteryx wouldn't allow that. I then renamed the field as ALT+255 which is the ASCII character for a hidden space.  Alteryx allowed that name and I now have a pipe at the end of each row.

ppatane
8 - Asteroid

I still think there should be a way to end a line with a pipe, as the solution I am using above still requires the user to delete that hidden character

CrsnBrn
5 - Atom

I am also looking for this same solution.  I have tried various options and settings.  Since the delimiter is not essentially closing the last filed, I am having to manually add it after the file is created.  

Labels