Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Keep everything after the first number in a string

Link86
8 - Asteroid

Hello, I am building a workflow that will be able to compare files in two different directories. To ensure that I am comparing the same file from each directory, I want to join on file path. The file paths will be the same after the first number in the string. I would like to keep only the digits after the first number. Below is an example of a file path and what I would like to keep. I have tried regex, but I am afraid that it has not been working out as well as I am not super familiar with regex expressions. I also tried findstring in a formula but it does not work since the numbers will not always be the same. They are essentially a date from when the file was pulled. Thank you in advance for your help.

Example:

Testing_20210730\HP-Testing\resource\Plan Type\Testing\RULES\FTE_BY3.xml

Keep:

20210730\HP-Testing\resource\Plan Type\Testing\Testing\RULES\FTE_BY3.xml

or

0210730\HP-Testing\resource\Plan Type\Testing\Testing\RULES\FTE_BY3.xml

or

\HP-Testing\resource\Plan Type\Testing\Testing\RULES\FTE_BY3.xml

5 REPLIES 5
atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @Link86 

Here is how you can do both of them

Workflow:

atcodedog05_0-1635769093728.png

Hope this helps : )

Link86
8 - Asteroid

This is perfect thank you. Only one follow up question, what does the $1 actually mean? I tried removing it to see what it did and it just cleared the string all together.

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @Link86 

It means content in the first set of round brackets. Its part of parse mode.

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Knowledge-Base/Tool-Mastery-RegEx/ta-p/37689 

Hope this helps : )

Link86
8 - Asteroid

Awesome, thank you. Also, thank you for the link.

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Happy to help : ) @Link86 

Cheers and have a nice day!

Labels