Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Joining two files where the columns are out of order

dngnc7
7 - Meteor

Please Help!

I have two files that I need to load into one SQL table, my issue is the columns are not in the same order on the files causing an error message. I can't upload the files due to HIPAA but an example would be patient name in one file is in column A and in column G on file two.

Any thoughts, ideas, suggestions are greatly appreciated!

5 REPLIES 5
Prometheus
12 - Quasar

@dngnc7 You can union them. Configure the Union tool to Auto Config by Name and you should be set.

Input1.PNG

Input2.PNG

Auto Config by Name.PNG

dngnc7
7 - Meteor

thanks Promethus but the columns have different names and are being pulled using the directory tool. Would I still be able to use the union tool?

Prometheus
12 - Quasar

@dngnc7 You can rearrange your columns using the Select tool. Can you upload fake data just to show me what you're talking about?

caltang
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

If they have different names, you have to standardize the naming convention and use Union tool as per @Prometheus ' suggestion. 

Otherwise you'll run into an error. If you want to standardize the naming convention, may I suggest for you to either:

• Pivot your data with Transpose and Cross-Tab tools, then rename en masse with a Find Replace tool or a list of accurate names to match against.
  • Use Dyanmic Rename's formula to force rename if it contains a certain key word.
Calvin Tang
Alteryx ACE
https://www.linkedin.com/in/calvintangkw/
dngnc7
7 - Meteor

Thank you! Prometheus and caltang your solutions did the trick. 

Labels