Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Joining two Columns based on like data

mfranchino21
7 - Meteor

Hey what's up, I have two input files that I want to compare based on "like/similar" names. here is an example;

Input 1:

NameColorNumber
Ford BroncoBlue234
Chevy BelairYellow456

Input 2:

NameColorNumber
Ford B  
C.Belair  

I would want to match on similar names in the first column, and have the other fields filled in according to the similar matches found. Additionally, if a match is not found I would want that shown or the list of non matches output somewhere. So my output would look like this:

Output:

NameColorNumber
Ford BBlue234
C.BelairYellow456

Let me know if this makes sense, thank you. I have tried the fuzzy match and have had a hard time getting it to work.

2 REPLIES 2
mfranchino21
7 - Meteor

Also, if the Input has multiple matches, for example the Chevy Belair occurred twice in the first input with the color "black" and number "928", it would also show up as a match and there would then be two matches for C. Belair 

alexnajm
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

You kind of have to use the Fuzzy Match tool in this case since the values are too dissimilar. As one possible option, you could split the values by the space/period delimiter and do a check to see if each individual word has a match to other individual words. But that'll be more risky since you might be trying to find "B" in a different dataset and it could "find a match" since it could find a "B" in any other value.

Have you checked out the example in Tool Mastery? Tool Mastery | Fuzzy Match correspondance partielle fuzzyübereinstimmung (alteryx.com)

Labels