Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Joining multiple files but sometimes all files don't exist

ewassell
8 - Asteroid

I am joining multiple excel files together to produce output.  Sometimes, one of the files doesn't have any information so I don't want to have to have the user create an empty file. I get an error on the input data (can't find the file) and output is not created.  How do I say, if it exists, Join, if not, ignore and continue joining what is available?

5 REPLIES 5
FrederikE
13 - Pulsar

Hey @ewassell,

How is the file that the user provides identified?

- Is this an App?

- Or is it accessing a folder with multiple files and always processing all of them.

- Or something else?

ewassell
8 - Asteroid

The user will manually put the files in a directory to be processed.  Right now, I have it so it looks for all the files and then puts them in a union.  Looking for a way to say, if one of the files doesn't exist, continue with the union without it.

ewassell
8 - Asteroid

Sorry - I am putting them in a Union, not joining them at this point.

FrederikE
13 - Pulsar

@ewassell,

With a union it is quite easy to do. Just put a wildcard Input in there.

At the Input, instead of the filename, use a star (*). This means that Alteryx pulls in all files from the folder. Like an automated Union in the Input Tool.

FrederikE_0-1677506970024.png

This requires all Files to be in the same structture. If thats not always the case, you require a batch Macro to do so instead. 

ewassell
8 - Asteroid

Thank you so much!  That was easy!!! :)

Labels