Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Joining different question types in a survey

nivi_s
8 - Asteroid

Hello!

I am trying to automate the analysis of a survey - for context, we have a dataset of all the questions, the options, and the codes that are used to encode/decode the data. I have 5 years worth of survey responses that have been coded in different ways by different people, and I am establishing a way to automate the processing to standardize them as well as future surveys. I have a question order dataset for each year to match with those in the survey responses, as well as a master dataset to categorize the questions based on the analysis objectives - they have the question and answer code numbers in common.

The issue I am running into is, the survey has multiple choice questions, Likert scale questions, numeric entry questions, and text entry questions. If I Join them with both identifiers, the numeric and text entry questions are lost. If I join them with only one, there is too much duplication. I cannot join by 2 and then use a Union later, because it does not fully capture the other fields in the master datasets.

I made some fake data for this and attaching it as a .yxmd file.

I have a brute force way to do this with joins, unions, and filters, but I'm wondering if there's a more elegant solution - is there a tool that will capture partial matches? Am I overthinking this and/or missing something glaringly obvious?

Thanks!

Nivi

2 REPLIES 2
danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

Hi @nivi_s 

In your surveys, as you mentioned, you've got 2 distinct types of questions, Type A, multiple choice answers like Q1 and Q3, and Type B, free text like Q2_1 and Q2_2.  If you treat the two types separately you can get by with a very simple workflow.

w.png

The trick here is the order in which you process the questions.  The 1st join is on Question and Response so it pulls out all the type A questions.  The type B questions aren't matched so they exit the L output of the 1st join.  The second Join tool takes these and matches them to the questions on Question only.  The 2 groups pass through the union and are clean and sorted by the remaining tools, giving you

r.png

Dan

nivi_s
8 - Asteroid

Hi @danilang 

Thank you so much!

(In hindsight, that solution is so straightforward, I can't believe I didn't think of that.)

Have a wonderful weekend!

Nivi

Labels