Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Joining data together

sshutchinson
7 - Meteor

Hello all, 

I have a project I am working on that requires moving away from Excel and into Alteryx. I have mastered how I want my data to look in Excel so now I am just trying to mimic the same results in Alteryx. The beauty is that this can be automated if I need to push more data through. So in the screenshot below attached, you will see a pivot with NFL teams broken down into AFC vs. NFC and then their region within the conference. In the column headers 1-12 are the months of which the sum of the newspapers prices related to these teams sold. 

I attached the workflow progress that I have made where I had to use a Find and Replace tool to perform a Search to Text. This enabled me to remove the entire newspaper title and just capture the name of the team. At this point I need to join the data cross tab function and the new named items in the find and replace tool. I think this should be fairly easy but unsure how to get it to look like it does in the Excel pivot table screenshot. Thank you!

4 REPLIES 4
AndrewDMerrill
13 - Pulsar

As a note, if you Export your Workflow (Under Options -> "Export Workflow"), you won't need to include all of your file data, as it will be bundled into your workflow file as a .yxzp that can be shared here.

AndrewDMerrill
13 - Pulsar

Here is a sample workflow that should get you pretty close to what you're looking for:

NFL Screenshot.png

sshutchinson
7 - Meteor

Hey Andrew this looks great in the Browse tool. How come I can't see it in the output file?

AndrewDMerrill
13 - Pulsar

If you plan to use the Output Tool, then you need to do so before the Table Tool (I added that last Tool just in case and for fun). If you want to output the Table with formatting that currently ends the workflow, then you need to use the Render Tool (under Reporting Tools). I included a new version of the workflow with the Render Tool included.

Labels