Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Joining a series of Outputs using same source

RR8
7 - Meteor

Hi

I have a large dataset which I want to do 8 steps with - each step will contain the same headers but depends on the rules from another Input file. Each step needs to be appended underneath each other in one single csv file. It is actually a large journal I am creating.

What tools would be best to use to do this or should I just do 8 separate runs of the program(which is pulling large data) to get the dataset and lookup rules and create outputs separately and join at end?

Thanks for any help

RR8

4 REPLIES 4
BrandonB
Alteryx
Alteryx

You could just have one workflow accomplish all of this with 8 branches off of the original Input Data tool. Each branch would follow the rules from your other input file, and finally you would have all 8 branches come back together with a union tool at the end to stack the data. This would then be output using one Output Data tool at the end which would write to your CSV file. 

RR8
7 - Meteor

Thanks it makes sense. I am quite new to Alteryx how do I create branches? Do I use the output data 8 times but not write it to a file?

Thanks for any help.

BrandonB
Alteryx
Alteryx

Here are some examples of different workflow configurations. Workflows do not just need to be linear in nature. They can start with one input and go to many outputs or start with many inputs and go to one output. If you have lots of different things that you need to do with one data set, you can just use one Input data file and then have tools go off in their own directions like you see below. Then you can use a union tool to stack them back together if you wish, or you can output them separately in their own Output Data tools. 

Workflow.png

RR8
7 - Meteor

Thanks so much this is very helpful

Labels