Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Joining PNG images and unique id in excel file

knozawa
11 - Bolide

Hello,

I would like to join png images and excel file using the same unique id.  The excel file includes 107,368 unique ids, but there are only 362 png images.

I use Alteryx and Tableau.  I tried to use the custom shape in tableau, but the shape assignment in excel file has more items than the shape palette.  Therefore, images were overassigned.

How can I overcome this issue using Alteryx?

Thank you,

Kazumi

6 REPLIES 6
JohnJPS
15 - Aurora

I don't fully understand the question. You have unique IDs in a file, and PNG files located somewhere too.

Are the PNG images pictures of the unique IDs... e.g. such that we would need an OCR?

knozawa
11 - Bolide

HI John,

Thank you for your response.  Sorry if my question was confusing.  

I attached a sample example.

I have images named with unique IDs and an excel file which includes unique IDs and its contents.

I would like to connect these images with excel file using the same unique IDs. We don't need OCR becuase the images are names with unique IDs.  Do you think it's possible to connect them?

Thank you,

Kazumi

JohnJPS
15 - Aurora

Hi @knozawa -- yes, I believe this should be possible: if you can build an expected file path based on the unique ID in the Excel file, then you could use the FileExists function to determine if the file is there or not. For example:

FileExists("C:\someFolderPath\" + [UniqueID] + ".png")

This could be done in an expression in either the Filter tool (to immediately select only rows where files exist) or the Folrmula tool (to create a flag for whether or not the file exists).

Hope that helps!

knozawa
11 - Bolide

Hi John,

Thank you for your response.

I tried your method using filter tool: [unique ID] = FileExists("C:\Users\knozawa\Desktop\file\images\"+[unique ID]+".jpg")

*sorry, it was actually jpg, not png.

I received following error message: invalid type in operator ==.

Do you know why that happens?

Thank you,

Kazumi

JohnJPS
15 - Aurora

Try the filter with just:

FileExists("C:\Users\knozawa\Desktop\file\images\"+[unique ID]+".jpg")

This will return true or false all by itself, which is what the Filter tool wants.

knozawa
11 - Bolide

Hi John,

It worked! Thank you so much for your help.

Sincerely,

Kazumi

Labels