Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Join by [Starts with]

ciplionej
7 - Meteor

I'm trying to join two tables where my matching condition is a field from one table should match the start of a field in the other table.

I could not find such an option in the parameters for the Join tool. I could also not find a tool that seemed like would do this.

The issue is that the length of the field to be matched is variable so I cannot really create a new field with a formula to match that either.

Or else could i make a Join using contains()?

The field in table Left would look like:

RecordNameValue
1Sesame street12
2Ocean Drive32

Mile End Road

My table Right would have the following format:

RecordAddressOwner
1Sesame street 5Cookie Monster
2Sesame street 5 - 5th floorCookie Monster's mother in law
3Ocean Drive 12112Eminem
4Mile End RoadDavid Hasselhof
5Mile End Road 1235BLuke Skywalker

Any ideas?

Thanks!

5 REPLIES 5
alexnajm
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Sounds like a Find Replace tool! It has "Beginning of Field" capabilities, as well as case insensitivity to help out. Here's a workflow to illustrate:

Felipe_Ribeir0
16 - Nebula

Hi @ciplionej 

There are some ways to go around this, one of them is by using an append + contains filter:

append+filter.png

Luke_C
17 - Castor

Hi @ciplionej 

As others have said, that functionality is not in the join tool. Here's one option

image.png

ciplionej
7 - Meteor

Find and Replace is perfect, thank you!

ciplionej
7 - Meteor

Thank you for the quick reply and the proposed solutions with the Append and Filter.

It is a solution but I'm concerned it would not scale well once 1000s of records are on both tables.

I'll try it anyway since it's an elegant solution for other similar situations where Find and Replace just will not cut it.

Labels