Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Join Tool - Degradation of Data

ZoeM
8 - Asteroid

Hi Alteryx SME's.

Ive used my workflow for 5 years now and I am challenged by a Join Tool which is some records in a field are missing, not all records but some. 

Nothing has changed from the fields that were being used to Join Data. And the field experiencing the loss of data is string field not being used to join.

Has anyone expereinced this before and any ideas on how to resolve? Unfortunately I can not provide a sample and would not be able to duplicate. 

Thanks!

12 REPLIES 12
rzdodson
12 - Quasar

I haven't experienced this before personally. But, to get an idea of depth of the problem, what percentage of records are being dropped when you perform the join? Also, what data types are being joined together? The latter will impact how many records fall out of each output anchor.

ZoeM
8 - Asteroid

@rzdodson  46% of data is being dropped after running. I am using VWString fileds for the Join.

rzdodson
12 - Quasar

Are you joining on singular string fields from each table, or are you using multiple fields to support the join?

ZoeM
8 - Asteroid

I am using three String fields to support the Join. 

binuacs
20 - Arcturus

@ZoeM The number of records before the join tool should match the total number of records from the 3 output anchors of the join tool. Are you saying these counts do not match and you are seeing a 46% decline in data?

ZoeM
8 - Asteroid

Correct. Its a first for me. See screenshot

binuacs
20 - Arcturus

@ZoeM Are you seeing any warning /error messages in the result window? One option I am thinking of is switching off the AMP engine, closing the workflow, and open then run

image.png

ZoeM
8 - Asteroid

No error messages. 

binuacs
20 - Arcturus

@ZoeM Did you try the AMP turned-off option?

Labels