Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

JOIN TOOL - after joining two data sets, null values come up

EtamSoko
8 - Asteroid

hi Guys,

Until now I have always found a solution to my issues - thanks to all of you - but this time no success.

The problem: I have 2 data sets which I want to join based on a common service order number. On the left side BEFORE joining I have G/L codes in the following format:

1.JPG

AFTER joining together, all fields in the same column comes up as null:

2.JPG

I have tried almost every variation of string types but the problem still exists.

Am I overlooking something basic here?

I have also tried dividing into 3 columns this field using text to column tool and tried to join that way,but again no success.

I would really appreciate your help on this.

Thanks,

MK

5 REPLIES 5
JosephSerpis
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @EtamSoko I think you first issue is the Null values in the GL accounts are being joined with other nulls so I would filter out the Null first before the join and that will help troubleshoot the issue with your join.

fmvizcaino
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @EtamSoko ,

Only complementing the @JosephSerpis response, you are seeing only null values in your column because you are looking for a sample of your data only, if you insert a browse after your join output, you will possibly see the values joined.

Best,

Fernando V.

DiganP
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

@EtamSoko As @JosephSerpis suggested, I would use the filter tool to filter out the nulls. You can also use the browse tool after the join to take a look at the full dataset. You will see the records that joined below the null values. 

Let us know if this worked or not. 

Digan
Alteryx
EtamSoko
8 - Asteroid

thanks for all of you. it works now 🙂

Pkoziol
6 - Meteoroid

-User removed the comment-

Labels