Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Issue with Dynamic Pagination in API Calls Using a Control Parameter

Nahom
5 - Atom

Hello Alteryx Community,

I am working on an API data extraction workflow where I need to paginate through results by dynamically adjusting the $skip parameter in the API call. I'm using Alteryx Designer 2023.1 and have encountered a problem when trying to set up a Control Parameter to handle pagination.

Goal:

I want to make API calls to https://int.lightspeeddataservices.com/lsapi/AcctBalance/64134145 and https://int.lightspeeddataservices.com/lsapi/AcctBalance/64135134  with dynamic $skip values to paginate through data.

Workflow Setup:

I've added a Control Parameter, intending to use it to pass different $skip values.

I connected the Control Parameter to a Text Input tool that contains my base URL.

I'm using an Action tool to update the value of the $skip parameter.

My Formula tool aims to append the $skip value to the base URL.

Issue:

When I run the workflow, I receive an error: "Parse Error at char(49): Unknown variable "SkipValue" (Expression #1)". I've checked for typos, confirmed connections, and refreshed metadata but the issue persists.

Steps Taken:

I've confirmed that the Control Parameter is named "SkipValue" in its label.

I've set the Action tool to update the correct cell with the value from the Control Parameter.

My formula looks like this: [BaseURL] + "?$top=1000" + "&$skip=" + ToString([SkipValue]) + "&$orderby=AcctCode"

Questions:

How do I correctly reference the field name from the Control Parameter in the Formula tool?

Is there a specific configuration step I may have missed in Alteryx Designer 2023.1 that is different from previous versions?

Can you provide guidance on ensuring the dynamic $skip value is correctly passed and appended to the URL?

Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated. I am also attaching a screenshot of my workflow setup for reference. Or is there another way that I can achieve my goal?

1 REPLY 1
BrandonB
Alteryx
Alteryx

"I connected the Control Parameter to a Text Input tool that contains my base URL."

Your text input tool also needs a placeholder SkipValue column with the action tool updating that specific cell. Right now your formula tool is throwing an error because you are trying to use a column that doesn't exist in the data. 

Labels