Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Is there anyway we can write the warning message to an excel file?

KrishnaChithrathil
11 - Bolide

Say, I've a table with one column. And i'm checking if the fields are null or not. If any field is null, update that field with a default value and give a warning message that "This field is empty". or some thing else. And I need this message to be written to an excel file. 

Any help would be highly appreciated.

- Krishna 

21 REPLIES 21
KrishnaChithrathil
11 - Bolide

Hey FilipR,

Understood. But intension is to save the warning message in an excel file.

Jay-RDC
8 - Asteroid

Try this. Also, not sure if you really need the message tool but hope this helps. 

jayrdelacruz18_0-1656676418042.png

jayrdelacruz18_1-1656676430453.png

grazitti_sapna
17 - Castor

@KrishnaChithrathil, even if you use a message tool it will only give you a warning in alteryx workflow log.

grazitti_sapna_0-1656677979403.png

I am not sure if this can get exported in excel but there must be a log created. Please refer to this link if it helps- https://help.alteryx.com/20221/designer/output-log-file

Thanks!

Sapna Gupta
KrishnaChithrathil
11 - Bolide

could you please share that workflow if possible?

Jay-RDC
8 - Asteroid

HYG.

KrishnaChithrathil
11 - Bolide

@jayrdelacruz18

In the excel file you're saving the entire column, right? Not possible to write only that message?

Jay-RDC
8 - Asteroid

You can. Just use a filter tool after. So that only the field that has the message will pass through the data stream.

KrishnaChithrathil
11 - Bolide

@jayrdelacruz18

Understood. I hope we can specify which cell is being null or getting this warning message, while we write to the excel. 

Is that possible anyhow?

Jay-RDC
8 - Asteroid

Sure. Solution attached. 

KrishnaChithrathil
11 - Bolide

@jayrdelacruz18

yes. this is also a good solution. Here, actually the message tool has no role. I was expecting that, there would be a way to directly save the message tool warning to excel. But that's not possible I guess.

Just for the clarification, we should use this piece of workflow repeatedly to check the same for other columns, right?

Labels