Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Is there anyway we can write the warning message to an excel file?

KrishnaChithrathil
11 - Bolide

Say, I've a table with one column. And i'm checking if the fields are null or not. If any field is null, update that field with a default value and give a warning message that "This field is empty". or some thing else. And I need this message to be written to an excel file. 

Any help would be highly appreciated.

- Krishna 

21 REPLIES 21
flying008
14 - Magnetar

Hi, @KrishnaChithrathil 

where are you want write warning message in Excel ? maybe other column if you can added.

KrishnaChithrathil
11 - Bolide

@flying008

Is it possible to add that warning message in the first cell A1? I don't need to write the entire output to that file. just that warning message. I hope my intension is clear. 

-Krishna

grazitti_sapna
17 - Castor

Hey @KrishnaChithrathil 

With a message tool, you can customize a warning/error/message. 

grazitti_sapna_0-1656665328339.png

Sapna Gupta
KrishnaChithrathil
11 - Bolide

yes. that one is clear. But i'm asking if there's any way to write that "The field is null" message to an Excel file.

Any help?

grazitti_sapna
17 - Castor

@KrishnaChithrathil, can you provide us with some sample input and the output that you are looking for?

Thanks!

Sapna Gupta
KrishnaChithrathil
11 - Bolide

Hey, grazitti_sapna

Let's take the same example that you've provided in that screenshot. And the warning message you've provided in the message tool need to be written into an Excel. Is that possible?

grazitti_sapna
17 - Castor

@KrishnaChithrathil, is this what you are trying to achieve?

grazitti_sapna_0-1656673052342.png

Thanks!

Sapna Gupta
FilipR
11 - Bolide

You can put NULL (just a string with a Formula tool) instead of blank spaces. Then you can filter the Excel file later to see where the NULLs are. You will not have pop up messages, though.

KrishnaChithrathil
11 - Bolide

Hey, grazitti_sapna

I'll try to make it clear. 

So we'll check the Field1 if there's any blank data or null value using formula tool.

If it finds, in this case, the second row, what I need is, a warning message to be given using the message tool and that same warning I need to save in an excel file.

So when I open the excel, the cell A1 should have that warning message, "This field is empty".

Since i'm new to Alteryx, i'm checking whether we can do this function or not.

Labels