Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Is there a way to copy/paste data on a worksheet from one workbook to another workbook?

Wynn
8 - Asteroid

Hello,

I wonder if someone can help me look into the issues with copying/pasting data on a worksheet from one workbook to another tab on another workbook? I have built a workflow before and it worked. However, I tried it again after a few months and it didn't generate anything.

Basically, I'm trying to copy/paste the data from the attached "correct info" workbook to the "scratch" workbook by using Alteryx. Say if I have 20 "scratch" workbooks and all I need to run a workflow so that it will automatically replace what is currently on the "scratch" workbooks by all the data on the "correct info" workbook. Please see attached workflow snapshot. First, I configured the nodes to link to the "scratch" and "correct info" (TB) workbooks. Then I took the link under "connect a file or database" of the second node ( Scratch workbook) and copied/pasted the link to the output of the first node ( write to file or database). The workflow ran without any issues. However it didn't replace anything on the "scratch" workbook". There are new files generated in the folder but their types were "file" not xlxs.   Can someone please help? 

10 REPLIES 10
JagdeeshN
12 - Quasar
12 - Quasar

Hi @Wynn ,

Can you please share a copy of the expected output give a combination of the 'Correct' and 'scratch' files?

I ask as the Scratch you have currently attached, contains a grid of numbers.

Best,

Jagdeesh Narayanan

Wynn
8 - Asteroid

Hi @JagdeeshN ,

Thanks for the clarification. The expected output file is that the Scratch workbook will become the Correct info workbook. Essentially, I'm trying to transform the Scratch workbook with its only one tab to include the data on the only tab from the Correct workbook if that makes sense. Simply put, output file will contain the K-1 line , Description and TRC columns only.

JagdeeshN
12 - Quasar
12 - Quasar

@Wynn 

Please find attached a workflow. Within it i have made use of two batch macros for following two purposes:-

1. To create separate scratch  tab for each scratch in the Correct_Info file

2. To create separate files for each scratch

Please do confirm if this helps resolve your issue.

Best,

Jagdeesh Narayanan

Wynn
8 - Asteroid

@JagdeeshN 

Thanks for looking into this. However I don't quite follow the logic of the workflow since it does not link the scratch file to output an updated scratch file. Instead, I think you created a separate tab for each scratch file. Do you think it's possible to apply the logic of my previous workflow to make this idea work? It worked before but I feel like I'm missing something here or perhaps the new Alteryx's releases changed something. I'm attaching a few more files with more details below in hopes it would clear any miscommunication. The goal is to have the workflow read in all the files : Scratch, Scratch 2, Scratch 3. Each Scratch workbook has a tab called "Scratch". Then the workflow will then read in Correct info workbook, take all data on "scratch tab" on the correct info workbook and put it on the Scratch tab on the Scratch workbooks ( please see attached scratch 2 desired output for the expected output on one of the files). Feel free to let me know if this is still not clear enough. Thanks so much !

Wynn
8 - Asteroid

@JagdeeshN 

Hi, just a follow-up, were you able to see what the issues are with my workflow? Thanks so much!

JagdeeshN
12 - Quasar
12 - Quasar

@Wynn 

Please find attached a solution to what you described in your comment.

The 'SCRATCH' files are stored in the "SCRATCH FILES" folder. The 'Correct Info' file is read from CORRECT INFO FILE folder. 

Please do let me know if this works.

Best,

Jagdeesh Narayanan

clmc9601
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

Hi @Wynn,

If the last time you used this workflow was in a previous version of Alteryx, there may be different syntax needed regarding sheet names for the output overwrite. I have attached a workflow that I hope will solve your problem! It can overwrite all the scratch files in a single run if you connect the directory tool to the folder where your scratch files are stored and they all have "scratch" in the name (or whatever you define in the filter tool).

Screen Shot 2021-01-29 at 11.01.58 PM.pngthe "test" filename is irrelevant because filename is taken from fieldthe "test" filename is irrelevant because filename is taken from field 

Wynn
8 - Asteroid

@JagdeeshN Yes this worked. Thank you!

Wynn
8 - Asteroid

@clmc9601 Thanks for helping! Unfortunately, I was not able to open your workflow due to the Alteryx's version incompatibility. Please see attached snapshot. However, I am truly interested in learning the logic of your workflow as well since it's not macro-involved. My company only offers the 2020.1.5 version so I cannot update the software. Is this possible to you to just save the workflow as an Alteryx's file instead of a "yxzb" package file. Not sure if it works though!

Labels