Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Is it possible to load several files with the "File Browse" tool over the Gallery ?

Alteryx_Geek
8 - Asteroid

@ atcodedog05  - Is it possible to load several files with the "File Browse" tool over the Gallery ?

I receive several csv files with the same structure. I want to use i.e. the "Interface tools /File Browse" tool for this to manually upload these to the Gallery on my Alteryx Server for the blending/filtering workflow there.

Is it possible to upload more than 1 file like possible it is possible the "Input Data" tool (*.csv)

By now I can only select 1 file. 

13 REPLIES 13
Thableaus
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hey @Alteryx_Geek 

The file browse tool looks specifically for one file in your folder structure.

You would have to use a Text Box interface tool and copy and paste the folder path, replacing the filename by the * wildcard. Then, make as an Action to update the value of the filepath in the Input Data Tool.

That's how I'd envision the solution.

Cheers,

amruthas2
8 - Asteroid

Hi @Alteryx_Geek 
If the naming convention is same you can use the below method - change the path with '*' , as you say the structure is the same it megers the files
have a look at the Message Tab and Input Configuration Tab for better understanding.

Please let me know if this helps

amruthas2_0-1645328828962.png

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @Alteryx_Geek 

I am assuming you are reaching out to me since I had built a solution like below before. And sadly the images are deleted

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Discussions/User-prompts-for-selecting-multiple-fi...

Since folder browse is not supported in Gallery we would need a workaround.

Here is how you can do it. What I am doing here I am asking the user to select a file in the folder where they want to read all files. And in the action tool I am changing the path so a path like C:\Users\atcod\Downloads\Files (1)\Files\Data\File A.xlsx|||`Sheet1$` will be changed to C:\Users\atcod\Downloads\Files (1)\Files\Data\*.xlsx|||`Sheet1$`  this way it reads all the files.

atcodedog05_1-1645344856535.png

Note: For this method to work all files should have the same format and should reference the same sheet.

Let me know if this works for you.

Hope this helps : )

Alteryx_Geek
8 - Asteroid

Thanks, I will try this and let you know.

The reason I tagged you because you did solved my couple questions earlier and looks like you are a goto person for quick solution :) Thanks for your help really appreciate it.

Alteryx_Geek
8 - Asteroid

Thanks will look into this and let you know 

Alteryx_Geek
8 - Asteroid

Thanks, I know this method works while running it from alteryx.

but I am looking to run it from gallery app

Alteryx_Geek
8 - Asteroid

@ atcodedog05  - I tried using your flow, and when i user your flow in my flow, it gives me this below error. however if I run your flow independently at that time it works fine. What could be going wrong when using it in my flow ?

Alteryx_Geek_0-1645373858088.png

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @Alteryx_Geek 

Not sure search for action tool 159 by using Ctrl+F and check the config.

Hope this helps : )

Alteryx_Geek
8 - Asteroid

@ atcodedog05 - Sure I will research on it, How can I change the path for the Input files ?

Labels