Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Interface Tool - Multistep Dependencies (Must work in Gallery)

PeteLacz
8 - Asteroid

I am attempting to create a workflow that will generate a list of folder names from a specified directory. This requires two inputs from the user.

First, A "Text Box" interface tool for the user to specify the directory. Second, a "List Box" selection from the list of folders generated by a Run Command.

I've figured out the whole workflow setup, except for the sequencing of questions that are dependent on one another. In this example, the list box is first dependent on the user answering the first question before populating options in the "List Box".

The problem I am having is that the list is being generated based on some default values in my saved workflow, instead of the new user specified directory. Even if I remove the default values, the sequencing does not appear to be automatically configured, so I am sure I am missing something. Hopefully this is possible.

This is feature I need to work in the gallery.

Has any one had any success with sequencing questions with dependencies on analytic apps?

I am fully aware I could brute force this with an intermediary yxdb file that is saved and then picked up again by another workflow. But that is just not practical. I could squeeze it into one workflow, but then I would be relying on some quick processing of the save file for it to pick up the right data. So, let's limit any solution to a single operable workflow with a configuration that clearly allows for sequencing the questions on the gallery.

3 REPLIES 3
SPetrie
12 - Quasar

That sounds like a chained analytics app, and a intermediary output is pretty much a requirement.

JagdeeshN
12 - Quasar
12 - Quasar

Hi @PeteLacz ,

The values within a listbox are generally populated when the application (interface is loading). It thus does not dynamically change based on the entry in the text box.

Have you tried the same using chained apps? You will still need to write the temp yxdb, but the user experience on gallery will be on single application. This basically makes sure that the list box has its values before the interface is loaded.

PeteLacz
8 - Asteroid

I recognize now that the second workflow is required. My main concern was only uploading one file to the gallery. The chain analytic app packages everything together for a single operable upload. Love it. Thanks.

Labels