Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Installing Python packages behind a proxy

rmelchiotti
7 - Meteor

Hi all,

I am trying to install python packages using the Python tool in the newest version of Alteryx but I am struggling. My current Alteryx installation is 2019.1 non-admin.

Since our internet connection is behind a proxy I selected the option Enable Proxy Credentials. The download tool works correctly but when I try to install packages using Package.installPackages I get the following error:

Collecting imblearn Retrying (Retry(total=4, connect=None, read=None, redirect=None)) after connection broken by 'ProtocolError('Connection aborted.', ConnectionResetError(10054, 'An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host', None, 10054, None))': /simple/imblearn/

I get the same error regardless of what package I select.

Does anyone know why this is happening and how I can fix it?

Thanks a lot in advance

6 REPLIES 6
MichalM
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @rmelchiotti 

It sounds like your proxy may be blocking the resource we're trying to access. Could you please let me know what packages you want to install?

Thanks

Michal 

rmelchiotti
7 - Meteor

I was pretty sure it was a proxy issue but did not know how to fix it. In pip you can specify the proxy address and credentials but I don't know how to do it with package.installPackages.

The list of packages I need is pretty long: things like imblearn, keras, tensorflow, nltk, gensim, spacy, shap, sklearn.

MichalM
Alteryx
Alteryx

Do you want to try with the below?

Alteryx.installPackages(package="myPackage",install_type="install --proxy http://user:password@my_proxy_server:port")
rmelchiotti
7 - Meteor

Thanks a lot, that seems to work.

Wish there was another option to do this though, having a corporate password in clear embedded in a workflow is quite high risky.

MichalM
Alteryx
Alteryx

@rmelchiotti, I do appreciate this is not ideal.

You could potentially encrypt the workflow or embed the python tool into a macro which you can encrypt to keep the password safe. Here's how.

rmelchiotti
7 - Meteor

That is a good idea, thanks for the tip.

Labels