Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Installing Alteryx Designer in a university campus computer lab

cmiles
7 - Meteor

I teach Alteryx in several class at the University of Houston.  We will be moving back to on-campus learning in the fall and are adding another class using Alteryx. One of the challenges using Alteryx has been that is does not run on Mac’s, which are popular with students. 

Is there a way to install Alteryx in our college computer lab to allow Mac students easier access to Alteryx? Our college lab is about 30 computers.

I tried searching Community online, but when I put in “University Computer Lab” in the search bar, I receive results for thousands of results containing “universe” and every permutation of the word computer.

5 REPLIES 5
BrandonB
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hello @cmiles 

You have a few different options that can be seen here: https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Knowledge-Base/Install-Alteryx-for-Mac/ta-p/87568 

Ultimately you will need some form of a windows environment to run Alteryx so Bootcamp/Parallels/VirtualBox are probably your best options. 

cmiles
7 - Meteor

Thank you for the quick reply!

However, I am looking for information on how to install Alteryx in a university computer lab for student use.  Is that possible? 

We have had problem with some students not having computers (pc and mac) large enough and powerful enough to load and run Alteryx. This is especially  true for Macs which also need space for Bootcamp or something similar.

BrandonB
Alteryx
Alteryx

Have you already gotten in touch with our SparkEd program? https://www.alteryx.com/sparked 

I think we should have some good suggestions for your lab and ensuring that you have all of the right resources to be successful! Libby, one of our founders has a BIG spot in her heart for higher education and has put significant resources into making it successful. Please give the link above a try and if you need me to connect you directly, please send me a direct message with your contact info and I will get you in touch with the right folks. 

cmiles
7 - Meteor

Yes, I sent SparkEd an email this morning, but I was trying to cover all bases by also posting the question here. I was hoping another professor might have the answer for me.

I'll wait to hear from SparkEd.

Thank you for your help!

Marcia_Vallon
5 - Atom

Hi Brandon!

I hope you are well

I am encountering the same kind of problem. I cannot donwload alteryx (non-admin version) on my univeristy computer.

The error message displayed is the following (cf. image attached)

Could we try and find a solution please ?

Thank you

Marcia

Labels