Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Insight Tool vs Interactive Chart Tool

geop31794
8 - Asteroid

Hi,

I'm not well versed with the Reporting tool and hence requesting to help me understand the difference between Insight Tool and Interactive Chart Tool, their pros and cons and where it exactly needs to be used.

2 REPLIES 2
grossal
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Hi @geop31794,

Insights: The Insights are used if you want a "dashboard" on your Alteryx Server.

Pro: You still have the functionality of the interactive chart and can easily drag and drop Text boxes and place them wherever you want.

Con: You can't use reporting tables and report text for it. Especially last can be disappointing as you can't use functions in the insights such as "DateTimeNow" to include the date. It's also impossible to generate a PDF or export it do a different format (you can only publish it on the server insights). 

Interactive Chart: Standard Tool to create charts and export them to a lot of file formats. You can also use these charts for PDF reports.

Pro: Easy to configure (you also have the interactive chart in the Insight tool), but you can combine it with all the other Reporting Tools using Join-Multiple and Layout / Visual Layout.

Con: You can't publish this as an Insight on your Alteryx Server, but you can still use the workflow to generate Reports.

Let me know if this was helpful.

Best

Alex

echuong1
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

As mentioned, the main difference is that the interactive chart tool will create charts, while the insights tool will create simple dashboards.

See the below links for more information on both:

Labels