Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Input Tool ODBC Connection

shakir_juolay
8 - Asteroid

I have a workflow with an Input Tool with Connect a File or Database property as odbc:DSN=DWH.

If the machine running this workflow has two ODBC connections with the same name (DWH in this case) one as User ODBC and another as System ODBC, which connection will the Input Tool pickup?

4 REPLIES 4
danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

Hi @shakir_juolay 

Good question.  I could only find one relevant post from 2014 and the responder implied that the the priority is user and then system.  This post is almost 10 years old, so you may want to do some tests to confirm if this is still the case.  Set up a system and a user dsn with the same name but that return different data.  Make sure you try this on the Alteryx server as well, if you use it in your environment, since the server OS differs from the desktop client and may not behave the same

Let us know the results     

Dan

StellaBon
11 - Bolide

I would also like to know the results of this, please give us an update after your tests!   

shakir_juolay
8 - Asteroid

How do I get the DSN to return data? I don’t see an option to specify a query.

danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

hi @shakir_juolay 

You can set up a DSN using the MS Excel Driver and in the configuration you specify the file name to read from.  Select different files for each DSN.

Dan  

Labels