Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Input Source File - Shorten Field Length

CherylWalsh71
7 - Meteor

I am connecting to an SQL Server. My dataset is very large (over 33M). I have applied some "WHERE" clauses to made the data set smaller and chosen only fields that I need in the SQL Query.  

Is there a way to change the character size of a field as well?  Some fields are set to 300 Characters but none of the records actually meet this limit - it is more like 50 - 100 characters.

I am looking for a way to speed up the query process and thought this might help.  I know I can limit the characters downstream but was hoping to do it upon loading/input to save time in the initial load.

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5
DanielG
12 - Quasar

@CherylWalsh71   Are you using In-Database inputs or regular inputs?  Without knowing much in the way of details, I'd suggest using In-Database tools (not just the inputs) to pare down the information first.  I dont know all the technical lingo (or truthfully understand how it works... 😀 ) but basically the in-database tools use the server to do the heavy lifting on the data while in the in-database tools then you can transition the data to run in Alteryx once it is filtered and cleaned up a bit.

CherylWalsh71
7 - Meteor

I have not tried the In-DB before.  I will test that tomorrow.  Thank you for the suggestion. I will need to read up on what I can do with that.

DanielG
12 - Quasar

They are very cool tools.  I dont use them too often as I dont think I have ever worked with 33 million rows of data before, so processing speed for me is usually a secondary issue.  Good luck!  😊

DataNath
17 - Castor

Hey @CherylWalsh71, you could try adding the left() function to restrict the size of your incoming fields. I don't have any massive fields to demonstrate with. However, here's a little demo where I'm just taking the first character of a few fields:

Table as standard:

DataNath_0-1671712627517.png

To try and reduce incoming data a bit I have used a TOP () restriction, which can also just be done by using the 'Record Limit' part of the Input Data configuration. I have also just took the first X characters of each field using Left(<Field>, X), and trimmed the DateTime down to Year:

DataNath_1-1671713011409.png

This solution of course relies on the fact that you want to bring your data into Alteryx. However, as mentioned by @DanielG, you could use the In-DB palette instead (depending on your use case). These tools don't actually stream any data into Alteryx but essentially use your tool configurations to compile a SQL query that is then sent off to the DB when you hit run. In comparison to standard tools, the In-DB palette has reduced options/functionality and isn't as user-friendly/intuitive imo but can be good for performance if you'd otherwise be streaming in large amounts of data.

CherylWalsh71
7 - Meteor

Thank you!!  I am going to try the In_Database first and if that does not work I will try this new method. Thanks for the brief demo. VERY HELPFUL!

Labels