Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Input Data - Wrong Data Type as Default (Can't change..)

_hjdy
5 - Atom

Hello, 

Some really irritating problem occured, and I can't seem to find the solution after searching for 1 hour in this community/google.

I have a column from the customer, that provided me a column that shows any "Null()" values as "FALSE".

This column is supposed to be an INT with months, which indicates something like 1 month from now, 3 months from now etc. 

BUT Since the Null values are as FALSE and there are values like 1, the Alteryx Input Data Tool is reading Column A as a boolean type (TRUE/FALSE).

Actual:

Column A
FALSE
FALSE

How Alteryx Reads:

Column A
FALSE
FALSE
TRUE
TRUE
TRUE

Somehow, I need to change the data type, before Alteryx automatically defines it as a boolean.. but really can't search for anything here.

Any suggestions...? this is quite urgent :(

Thanks in advance.

BR,

David

6 REPLIES 6
JarekSkudrzyk
11 - Bolide

@_hjdy hi, maybe you can change the data type after importing to alteryx with a select tool? Would that solve your problem?

_hjdy
5 - Atom

Hi, This was the initial thought too, but it is actually already being automatically inputted as TRUE/FALSE, so even if I use the select tool, or formula tool, the column values will be read as TRUE/FALSE.

(How do I even tag you Jarek...? It's my first time posting sth to this community)

JarekSkudrzyk
11 - Bolide

@_hjdy have you tried importing also the column names as data - it should assign "string" type which you can then change in select tool:

JarekSkudrzyk_0-1649327704809.png

re tagging - I think this feature is unlocked once you reach level 7, but I am not sure:)

KilianL
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

And you can bring back the column names with a dynamic rename set to:

KilianL_0-1649328225181.png

_hjdy
5 - Atom

Thank you Jarek and Kilian!!

Amazing community right here..

JarekSkudrzyk
11 - Bolide

You are welcome @_hjdy !
Amazing community indeed:)