Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Input Data Changing File Path

CSmith16
8 - Asteroid

Hello,

We run a workflow off the gallery on a schedular. In Sandbox, I am working on a workflow to push into production. Every time I save the workflow the input data tool keeps changing the file pathway from this: 

Screenshot 2024-01-26 162951.png

To this:

Screenshot 2024-01-26 162951.png

That E drive location is a network drive. When I save the workflow I leave the _externals\1 checked as that is our macro we need to be saved with the workflow so that is fine. But, the input data tool for our OU info keeps changing the file path, it looks like it may be saving that version of the file only instead of connecting to the source file directly on our network drive. I have followed older posts but I am hoping there is someone who can help with this.

9 REPLIES 9
alexnajm
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Does your Server have access to that network drive? If so, you can use UNC pathing to make this work and keep it a "live" connection!

@CSmith16 my company has engaged with Delaware North before through the Alteryx partnership - would love to connect again for 2024!

CSmith16
8 - Asteroid

Hi @alexnajm,

So I am a little unfamiliar with UNC as I personally have never used it. Would I just follow this syntax?

\\ip.address\E\Master_Documents\OuInfo.xlsx

Glad to see a familiar face here! Hope we get to introduce ourselves at some point.

Sebastian_Chaieb2
8 - Asteroid
8 - Asteroid

Hi @CSmith16 

n Alteryx, if you are using a network drive that is mapped to your PC, by default, the drive letter is used in the full path as shown below:

Capture.PNG

If you want to publish it to the Gallery, you have to convert that path to UNC (Full network location) because the mapped drive will not be recognized by the server executing the job (unless the same network drive is mapped on the server as well).

To do that, go to Options -> Advanced Options -> Workflow Dependencies.

Simply click "All UNC" to convert mapped drive paths.

Before.PNG

After.PNG

CSmith16
8 - Asteroid

Thanks for the reply @Sebastian_Chaieb2.

That's the problem though, the network drive is mapped, and is the same OU file is in all our other workflows, and they all use the same drive letter path. We have a multi node but, we only use it as a single node so our gallery, service, controller, etc. all run off the same machine. This is the only workflow I am coming across with this issue where it wants to replace the file pathway. I may just have to convert this workflow to UNC, but I still don't understand why our other workflows work without it being in UNC.

Sebastian_Chaieb2
8 - Asteroid
8 - Asteroid

When you are publishing to the Gallery, did you check the settings in "Manage Workflow Assets"?

ManageAssets.PNG

If you want to keep the path (not changed to externals/1/file...), the input checkbox should be unticked (keep live connection to the file). 

gallery.PNG

CSmith16
8 - Asteroid

Yeah, we check the workflow assets every time we save as there are multiple files we always have to uncheck. I have saved it with, and without, unchecking the box and every time it changes the pathway to _externals.

alexnajm
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

When you use the workflow in Designer, are you downloading the workflow or are you opening the workflow in Server directly from Designer (Open Workflow --> Alteryx Server)?

CSmith16
8 - Asteroid

Yes. Anytime we need to open a workflow we open it from the gallery through the open workflow menu option. We have to connect and login through our company sso every time to do so.

alexnajm
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

@CSmith16 I just did a small test on my end with a local path and my suggestion from earlier worked! Feel free to email me directly at alex.abi-najm@aimpointdigital.com so I can connect you with your Alteryx rep and we can help more directly.

Labels