Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Inconsistent action of keyboard tab key

PuffinPanic
9 - Comet
9 - Comet

Hi,

This is a minor issue, but it's driving me nuts!

On my external keyboard at work, when working in a formula tool, if I hit the tab key it indents the formula I'm writing. But on my external keyboard at home, the tab key navigates around the configuration window. 

I can't find any information on how to change the behaviour, and I find it bizarre. 

At home, I've tried pressing the tab key in conjunction with ctrl, shift, Alt, Alt Gr, Win, but it still just navigates around the window. I've tried the insert key, and turning function & screen locks on and off. 

I don't think this is an Alteryx issue as such because it's the single installation of Alteryx I have that I use in both locations on my laptop.

I prefer to use tab to indent my formulas, rather than to navigate around the window. 

Does anyone know how I change this behaviour please? 

Thanks

PuffinPanic

14 REPLIES 14
kazesldn
5 - Atom

Any luck on this? I'm facing the same issue. Thanks!

hartgavinw
6 - Meteoroid

would also like to know if anyone else has found a solution here. this only started happening for me when i updated designer to 2023.1

PuffinPanic
9 - Comet
9 - Comet

Sorry, I've not had any other feedback or any luck resolving the issue. It's happening everywhere now - it's as if they have changed the behaviour of the tab key in the new version to a navigation function, rather than an editing one. Personally, I think we need the option to choose how it behaves. I'm old-school - I like to use tabs to format my nested formulas - I hate that I can't do this any more.

jdminton
12 - Quasar

If it helps you, Shift-Tab provides the tab feature within the formula boxes!

ArnaldoSandoval
12 - Quasar

Hi @PuffinPanic 

My understanding with your issue is the tab key behave different when your laptop is at work or home locations, If memory serve, Windows has an odd configuration feature driving periphericals, let me ask some troubleshooting questions:

• Are you using docking stations at either of your locations, both of them or plug the keyboard to an USB port?
  • Have you try taking your home keyboard to work, and try it with your work environment?
  • Because this is happening with a single version of Alteryx (the same laptop is used at home-work) I doubt it got something to do with the version of Alteryx involved, and more with Windows and its way to handle periphericals.
  • Are your keyboards the same brand with the  same set of features?

The answer to these questions may help to understand both environments.

hth

Arnaldo

PuffinPanic
9 - Comet
9 - Comet

Thanks! That's really useful to know.

PuffinPanic
9 - Comet
9 - Comet

Hi Arnaldo

Thanks for the useful troubleshooting suggestions. Unfortunately, it now seems to be acting the same both at home and at work. 

I do use a docking station plugged into a USB port.

One of the keyboards is bluetooth, and the other has a USB dongle so they are quite different. 

I'm going to use the shift-tab suggestion for now, but if you have any ideas about how I can get this behaviour to default back to tab moving the cursor rather than navigating the page I'd be very interested.

Thanks again,

PuffinPanic

PuffinPanic
9 - Comet
9 - Comet

Hi JDminton,

That doesn't work for me, tab navigates forward and shift-tab navigates backwards. 

I've tried every shift+key combination I can think of, but nothing works in the formula box to insert a tab :(

jdminton
12 - Quasar

@PuffinPanic yes, I was working in the multi-row formula tool when I found it. It works there and multi-field formula tool but not the regular formula tool. I was disappointed too. I tried some other key combinations too, but haven't found one that does the tab in the regular formula tool yet.

Labels