Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Improve performance of the Sharepoint Input tool

monish124
6 - Meteoroid

How to read multiple files using Sharepoint Input Tool? I've been struggling with using Sharepoint Input tool. There are so many limitations with this tool. I'd appreciate any input/advice to improve the performance for any of these problems. 

1. It only accepts three file formats (xlsx, csv, yxdb). I'm unable to read xlsm, zip files using this tool. Is there any alternative solution like using Python etc? 
  2. I'm bound to use Sharepoint tool and not directory tool since there is no Folder path location to the Sharepoint location? If so how to obtain folder path location to Sharepoint? Do I need to contact someone at my organization to setup a One drive path for Sharepoint? 
  3. Sharepoint tool is very slow - Whenever I click the tool it takes 10 seconds to load. I'm using the parent folder as the main to obtain folder paths to all the *.xlsx files within the subfolders of the parent folder. Then using a simple macro to read the xlsx files and append. How to improve the performance of the Sharepoint input tool? 
  4. I want to be able to deploy this solution to Alteryx server and schedule as jobs eventually.
5 REPLIES 5
alexnajm
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula
monish124
6 - Meteoroid

Thank you, If I were to publish this to Alteryx server will it be able to recognize the folder path? 

alexnajm
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

As long as Server has access to the SharePoint site / your drive with the files somehow then theoretically it’s possible but unlikely. 

monish124
6 - Meteoroid

Under Common issues I see the author has mentioned that this trick is applicable to Designer usage only. Also, workflows implementing this trick cannot be scheduled on Alteryx Server

alexnajm
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Yes makes sense - I am glad you added the fourth point then because that's definitely a major consideration!

Labels