Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Importing text heavy fields

jonathanogrady
8 - Asteroid

Hello fellow Alteryx fans!

I had a quick question which I was hoping some genius out there might be able to help me with please?

I would like to import a CSV file. Two of the fields are text heavy and have circa 5000 characters in length.

I went to the configuration for the input Data tool, and set the field length to 8000… Should be enough, right?

However, when I import my CSV file I'm finding that it is still truncating each field after 255 characters.

The balance of the data appears to be missing? I would like to have a complete dataset…

What stupid mistake am I making?

All dummy data, so happy to attach below.

All help much appreciated!

Jonathan

5 REPLIES 5
jonathanogrady
8 - Asteroid

CSV file attached…

Philip
12 - Quasar

When I run it, it's not the Input tool that's truncating, but the Select tool (3).  Specifically the short_description_en and short_description_fr.

It appeared that the text encoding was messing things up, so I changed the Input tool text encoding to ANSI - Central European and it no longer truncated.

jonathanogrady
8 - Asteroid

Thanks very much for your kind reply.

I took your advice, and broke down tool by tool.

Changing the "code page" certainly helps, but I found that the key culprit was the data cleansing tool.

Maybe it's the way I'm using it?

I found little about this truncation issue on the forum which I found surprising…

Anything the Alteryx team can do to clear things up much appreciated.

Best wishes,

Jonathan

Philip
12 - Quasar

I'm not sure what you mean by the data cleansing tool truncating. I did a comparison of pre- and post- data cleanse and the data looks fine to me.

jonathanogrady
8 - Asteroid

Philip,

My apologies. I don't seem to be able to replicate the error I was getting previously. Consider this nut well and truly cracked!

Many thanks,

Jonathan

Labels