Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Importing multiple excel files does not load records from files with null date values

dmornad
5 - Atom

I have attached two simple excel files. One has null values for a "date" column. when multiple importing them, the Input Data tool does not import rows from Book2.xlsx file (null date values). The tool will import if I try to single import that file. Any ideas why this behaves differently when multiple importing? I have hundreds of input file and need to use the multiple import format , ie, Book*.xlsx.

3 REPLIES 3
T_Willins
14 - Magnetar
14 - Magnetar

Hi @dmornad ,

Alteryx is reading the two files as having different schemas.  A field will all null values will be read as a numeric field, while the files with completed date fields will usually be read as a string field.  When you bring in both in the same input tool, you should get a warning that the second file is not being input due to a different schema.  This can be solved using a simple batch macro:  https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Knowledge-Base/CS-Macro-Dev-Reading-in-Multiple-Fi...

echuong1
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

The issue revolves around the schema of the datasets changing. The Null values are causing the field to be recognized as a different data type. To get around this, try using a batch macro to import your files. 

I've created an example using the files provided. Let me know if that works!

dmornad
5 - Atom

Perfect. Thank you.

Labels