Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Identify new file every hour from the directory

roshangoshai
6 - Meteoroid

I get the new file every hour in a LAN location and I am trying to build the process to pick up the new file and run the second process every hour. Any help appreciated.

5 REPLIES 5
cgoodman3
14 - Magnetar
14 - Magnetar

Hi, there’s a couple of approaches:

1) If you use a directory tool pointed at your network location you can read that in, sort by date created/modified and then use a sample tool to select the first record, then pass that result as an input to your next process

2) use a directory tool again and use that as the left input into a join tool. On the right input put the list of previously processed files and join on file name. The left output will be the new file which can be used as your input downstream. If you create a left inner join then write the list of file names to over write your right input file, this will mean at t+1 you don’t read in the file you’ve just processed.

Chris
Check out my collaboration with fellow ACE Joshua Burkhow at AlterTricks.com
Qiu
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@roshangoshai 

@cgoodman3  has given excellent ideas on how to process the data.
For your another requirement, run the alteryx workflow every hours, I can think of the following approach.

1. Alteryx Server is the best option if you have. By which, you can setup schedule for everyhour.

2. Refer to the thread below, 

@NicoleJohnson introduces that you can make an Excel Macro to launch the workflow with Windows scheduler.

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Server-Discussions/Skin-Alteryx-app-run-it-on-other-website...

Hope it helps.

roshangoshai
6 - Meteoroid

thank you for the response and this really helped.

roshangoshai
6 - Meteoroid

yup, this worked for me. Thank you

Qiu
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@roshangoshai 
Thanks for the mark and good to know it helps.

Labels