Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

How to take in a new excel file each run using a File Browse tool

jaypatnaik
5 - Atom

I'm somewhat new to Alteryx, and I'm stuck on inputting excel files correctly. My goal is to utilize the File Browse tool so that the user of the app/workflow can select/input a new file when it is run. While the files inputted may differ each time, the format will always be the same. This file will have multiple tabs, but I only want to read in two tabs (the name of these 2 tabs will always be the same no matter which file is selected, let's say the two tabs are named X1 and X2). The goal is to take each tab and perform cleansing and manipulation on the two tabs separately, and then union them back in the end. How can I set up the File Browse -> Input Data (or Dynamic Input) to take in a new file each time, connect them to an input tool, and take the same two tabs to clean/manipulate them?

6 REPLIES 6
RobertZiegl
8 - Asteroid

Hi @jaypatnaik ,

In your case, i would recommend to offer the user two uploads and let the user choose the correct data. With the filebrowse for excel the user has to specify the tab anyhow.

2023-01-09 06_15_43-Alteryx Designer x64 - New Workflow1_.png

2023-01-09 06_15_57-Alteryx Designer x64 - New Workflow1_.png

jaypatnaik
5 - Atom

Robert, thank you for the response. I think I am just confused as to how the file browse and input data tool work together. In the File Browse tool, the user can select a different file each time it will run. While the file is different, two of the tabs will always be present and will have the same name. How would the updates tab names be "taken in" by the input data tool? How would I make it dynamic?

jaypatnaik
5 - Atom

Also, I'm using Alteryx 2020.6.4

RobertZiegl
8 - Asteroid

If you try out the filebrowse in the app and try to hand over an excel sheet, you will see that Alteryx is requiring the user to specify the sheet within the excel file. So your end-user would specific Tab 1 and Tab 2.

jaypatnaik
5 - Atom

In the filebrowse in the app, it's only asking for the excel sheet but there is no where to specify the tab or sheet after that, it just gives the "DBFIleInput: No sheet specified, you must specify a sheet" error. 

grazitti_sapna
17 - Castor

@jaypatnaik , Please try out the below Alteryx App for excel files its asks for the sheet as well.

grazitti_sapna_0-1673250258179.png

Sapna Gupta
Labels