Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

How to skip columns when writing to a range in Excel?

avanibhatnagar
8 - Asteroid

I have a workflow that outputs to a excel template (overwrite range and preserve formatting selected). I have it set to output to C3:BC12, but if I want to skip the following columns: AS, AT, AH, AI, W, X, L, M. Is there a way I can do this? I have some formulaes in those columns and I want those columns to populate in excel using the formula and do not want alteryx to write to those columns. I have tried outputting to a NAMED RANGE but that doesn't work either. Any thoughts on how I could do this or if it's even possible? (The formulas in those excel columns are a lot easier to do in excel than in Alteryx)

16 REPLIES 16
avanibhatnagar
8 - Asteroid
Still no luck. Error says this:

Output Data (2) Invalid range: "Test_Row_1". Check sheet to make sure cells in range are contiguous, or specify a new range.

It does say "contiguous" so i wonder if named ranges won't work??

avanibhatnagar
8 - Asteroid

Here is the alteryx workflow and excel. Not sure what i'm doing wrong. 

flying008
14 - Magnetar

Hi, @avanibhatnagar 

A single named range in an Excel file must consist of contiguous cells without any gaps. Your [Test_Row_1] is actually two separate and disconnected ranges, so naming it in this way is meaningless.

Therefore, your [Test_Row_1] should be defined as "=Sheet1!$B$1:$E$2", either defined [Test_Row_1]=Sheet1!$B$1:$C$2 and [Test_Row_2]=Sheet1!$E$1:$E$2 , Then output according to your expectations into the corresponding named ranges.

avanibhatnagar
8 - Asteroid

@FLY  So then I would have to output using different output tools. I was hoping to output using just 1 tool where it would skip the columns I want it to skip looks like that is not an option then

flying008
14 - Magnetar

Hi, @avanibhatnagar 

No, you still just use 1 output tool to get your want, only need assign the multiple-ranges by your formula.

avanibhatnagar
8 - Asteroid

@flying008 Sorry - I feel like I'm still stuck (Thanks for being here still!). I'm not sure what you mean by assigning multiple ranges by the formula? 

flying008
14 - Magnetar

Hi, @avanibhatnagar 

Yes,  assigning multiple ranges by the formula, just do it !

Labels