Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

How to skip columns when writing to a range in Excel?

avanibhatnagar
8 - Asteroid

I have a workflow that outputs to a excel template (overwrite range and preserve formatting selected). I have it set to output to C3:BC12, but if I want to skip the following columns: AS, AT, AH, AI, W, X, L, M. Is there a way I can do this? I have some formulaes in those columns and I want those columns to populate in excel using the formula and do not want alteryx to write to those columns. I have tried outputting to a NAMED RANGE but that doesn't work either. Any thoughts on how I could do this or if it's even possible? (The formulas in those excel columns are a lot easier to do in excel than in Alteryx)

16 REPLIES 16
flying008
14 - Magnetar

Hi, @avanibhatnagar 

Maybe you need named multiple range like C3:K12 & N3:V12 & Y3:AG12 & etc... for all isolated range  , then use option of output to Named-Range to get your want.

cjaneczko
13 - Pulsar

You could also use a couple of select tools and split the workflow, then create an output for each range. You'd need to use a Block until Done or Control Container though so each field has a chance to write without throwing an error that the file is already in use.

avanibhatnagar
8 - Asteroid

I'm unable to use named ranges to output to an Alteryx excel file. How would I do that? I tried updating the "Write to File" option and added the named range after the sheet name and that doesn't work:

"D:\...\Alteryx Output to Excel Range.xlsx|||Sheet1$Test_Row_1"

This just outputs to a sheet called "Sheet1$Test_Row_1". I'm unable to find the correct syntax for overwriting to a named range excel template

cjaneczko
13 - Pulsar

Are the columns the same every time that you are writing to or does the range change? if they are the same you can forgo the named ranges and hard code the range in the output.

"D:\...\Alteryx Output to Excel Range.xlsx|||Sheet1$A1:Z1000" for example. 

The Named Range output would look more like this. It doesnt include the sheet name as your named range in Excel would already have that information.

"D:\...\Alteryx Output to Excel Range.xlsx|||Test_Row_1"

avanibhatnagar
8 - Asteroid

I see. The columns stay the same BUT I need to skip some columns so for example I need it to write to C3:BC12, but if I want to skip the following columns: AS, AT, AH, AI, W, X, L, M. I won't be able to do that without a named range. 

flying008
14 - Magnetar

Hi, @avanibhatnagar 

Output to Range of Sheet1:

D:\...\Alteryx Output to Excel Range.xlsx|||Sheet1$Test_Row_1

Output to Named Range of Book:

D:\...\Alteryx Output to Excel Range.xlsx|||`Test_Row_1`

jstammers
7 - Meteor

Hi @avanibhatnagar 

Do the work in Excel?

just output your "alteryx" data to an excel tabpage. (which you can hide later in excel if you like)

then on a different tabpage in the same excel doc, you map the data over from that alteryx data tabpage to the columns you want and have your excel formula's in the columns you want... backwards way to do it. but once set up it should just work ?

avanibhatnagar
8 - Asteroid

@flying008 When I try doing this: D:\...\Alteryx Output to Excel Range.xlsx|||`Test_Row_1` for named range defined for the entire workbook I get this error:

NamedRangeIssueAlteryx.png

Sc.pngexcel.png

flying008
14 - Magnetar

Hi, @avanibhatnagar 

In your case, change the D:\...\Alteryx Output to Excel Range.xlsx|||`Test_Row_1`  to D:\...\Alteryx Output to Excel Range.xlsx|||Test_Row_1

[remove the up dot.]

Labels