Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

How to run two pipeline with one input

mrai02
7 - Meteor

Hello Alteryx Community,

I have created a workflow having two pipelines.
At any time only one pipeline would have data passing through it.

At a point I am joining the two pipelines and tried using join, append and union tool, but since only one has data flowing through it, the output is always empty or no data passes after joining both pipelines.

I am really sorry if I sound too ambiguous. Please ask any questions if more clarification is needed.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

5 REPLIES 5
grazitti_sapna
17 - Castor

@mrai02 , There are 2 ways of getting data:

1. Using full outer join instead of inner join. Please follow the below link to know how to implement full outer join in Alteryx.

https://help.alteryx.com/20221/designer/join-tool

grazitti_sapna_0-1666928694666.png

2. Using Union tool instead of join if your data has same schema in both pipelines. Else you can manually configure fields in Union tool if schema is different. In the below link they have mentioned about how to manually configure fields.

https://help.alteryx.com/20221/designer/union-tool

Sapna Gupta
mrai02
7 - Meteor

Hey @grazitti_sapna,

As I said, at a time only one pipeline has the dataflow.

Therefore the other pipeline is empty and has no data in it.

And because of that the join or union doesn't work as it compares both pipeline's schema.

Think about it like this: I need a tool which has two inputs and it should find which input has the data and Output it.

grazitti_sapna
17 - Castor

@mrai02 , ok so what you can do is you can create a schema using dynamic tool if there is no data in one of the pipeline and then try using join or union tool. Or if you can share the workflow with sample input then I can try to resolve your issue.

Sapna Gupta
mrai02
7 - Meteor

@grazitti_sapna , as the input is dynamic I don't know which pipeline will have data.

I only made sure data will pass only one pipeline out of two.

Also sorry I can't share any workflow or sample data as it a private data in my organization.

Podoseb0
7 - Meteor

There may be a more efficient way if you play around with those dynamic tools, but this should do the trick (see the attached). @mrai02 let me know if it works for you!

Labels