Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

How to read first excel sheet?

zqlcancer
8 - Asteroid

I need import data from excel every month. The excel file names and sheet names are different every time. But I only need import data from the first sheet of the file and their formats are consistent. Currently I use dynamic input to read the file, but in order to read the sheet contents, I need specifiy the sheet name. Is there a way to tell Alteryx to always read the first sheet of the file?   

2 REPLIES 2
Pang_Hee_Choy
12 - Quasar

you can do this way. if only one sheet or sheetname got any pattern.

1. input tool - load by list of sheetname, output fullpath (use wildcard in filename if possible)

2. filter - get specific sheet name (if required)

3. formula - Replace([FileName], "<List of Sheet Names>", [Sheet Names])

4. dynamic input - setup the how you input sheets (like 1st row is data, import from line x, etc), and replace fullpath in config

5. continue develop

Screenshot 2023-09-13 110311.png

Peachyco
11 - Bolide

For this, I will need:

1. Input Data Tool, configured to import only the list of sheet names, and to output the full path of the Excel file as a field. I will need the full path to pass to the Dynamic Input Tool later. This step will give me two columns: the Sheet Names already sorted how they appear in the file, and the Full Path of the Excel file.
  2. Select Records Tool, configured to take only the first record. Now I have only one record.
  3. Formula Tool, so I can generate a new full path of the Excel file that includes the sheet name. My output here would look like "\\192.168.000.000\...\Excel File Name.xlsx|||First Sheet Name".
  4. Dynamic Input Tool, which will take the new path from the Formula Tool and bring the data from that sheet. I now have the data from the first worksheet of the Excel file.

My workflow would look like this:

Alteryx - First Sheet of Excel File.png

Labels