Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

How to read csv file directly from SFTP without downloading it to local machine

abhishekbajpai
6 - Meteoroid

Hi All,

I have a requirement, where I need to read few csv files directly from SFTP server. Please note we don't have permission to download them to out local machine. We need to read it directly from server and proceed further for processing. Any pointers will be highly appreciated.

Regards,

Abhishek

3 REPLIES 3
gawa
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

hi @abhishekbajpai 

Usually we use Download tool to read data located on internet, but it always needs access permission. Even if you read csv on your local computer via Alteryx, it is almost equivalent to "you download file".

abhishekbajpai
6 - Meteoroid

Hi,

Could you please help me how to configure Download tool for SFTP using ppk file.

Regards,

Abhishek

apathetichell
18 - Pollux

@abhishekbajpai - That isn't how things work. Go back to your client to ask how they expect you to process the data without downloading it. They may want an RPA (uipath) style solution where a bot logs in as you - captures part of the data and then does somethign. This is not an Alteryx project.

For SFTP - there are multiple examples in community on how to use CLI with something like WinSCP or another SFTP client to write to .bat file and then use run the SFTP in the run command tool.  The download tool does not natively support PPK. The download tool really needs a bifrucation and update into an FTP/SFTP tool and an API tool (and a rename so it isn't just Download). Ideally without mandating AMP support.

Labels