Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

How to make the threshold values in a workflow to be dynamic

Pankhudri20
8 - Asteroid

Hello,

I have a approximately 9-10 conditions where the threshold values need to be dynamic.

For example,

1. Current < 10 for more than 1 hour (both 10 and 1 hour should be adjustable)

2. Pressure Ratio Greater than 3 for more than 5 mins(3 and 5 mins should be adjustable)

Currently, I have just used these values in the workflow directly.

I am already inputting daily data on which these conditions are applied.

However, users require that these adjustable values should be put in an excel file and then used from that file in the workflow.

Can you please tell me how can I achieve this in Alteryx?

Pankhudri20_0-1627578017452.png

Here, '10' is the threshold value and should be adjustable.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Regards,

Pankhudri

8 REPLIES 8
BrandonB
Alteryx
Alteryx

The easiest way to do this is to deploy the workflow via an analytic application on Alteryx Server. That way your end users could specify a value that could be dynamically passed into this formula. 

Pankhudri20
8 - Asteroid

Hello @BrandonB ,

Thank you for your response.

So the workflow would be run every day on the server. 

They dont want to change the values every day or manually input them since there are almost 20 workflows.

Is there a way to include these values in an excel and use that in the workflows?

Regards,

Pankhudri

BrandonB
Alteryx
Alteryx

In that case you might just want to have another sheet that they can open up and adjust a value that you read in as an input in your workflow. That way your end users could just modify the value on demand but it would continue running as scheduled. You could put your formula tool into a macro and use a control parameter to pass this value in dynamically. 

Pankhudri20
8 - Asteroid

Hello @BrandonB ,

Thank you for your response.

Could you share an example of how I can do this? I have not used Macros before in Alteryx.

I am using a dynamic input tool to load data files.

It would be a great help.

Thank you

Regards,

Pankhudri

BrandonB
Alteryx
Alteryx

Yep! So your data loading can remain the same, but you would want to create a macro to house the multi-row formula. You can find additional training on macros here: https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Interactive-Lessons/tkb-p/interactive-lessons/label-name/Macros 

danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

Hi @Pankhudri20 

You don't need a macro for this.  You just need to read the threshold values from the excel file and then use these in your workflow.

danilang_0-1627736213865.png

The threshold values Text Input represents the value for the excel file.  In your workflow, change this to an Input Data tool that reads from the excel file.  Append the threshold values to your data.  You can then use the fields from the threshold file in your subsequent tools  

danilang_1-1627736433965.png

Dan

BrandonB
Alteryx
Alteryx

Nice alternative @danilang!

Pankhudri20
8 - Asteroid

Hello @danilang,

Thank you so much. 

It works perfectly.

Labels